3/14/17

Encampment River Canyon: July 2016

A place I've always wanted to visit on our trips to Saratoga is the Encampment River Canyon. We finally had an opportunity, but I had a couple of unfortunate geriatric moments that spoiled the day a little. To get to the public water to fish involves a pretty good hike into the canyon beyond the private camps. In July it is hot and dusty in this arid area. After hiking about a half-mile in, I realized I had left my fishing license in the truck. Charlcie was able to find a shady spot to wait while I did the round-trip to get the proper paperwork. This was after I had realized that I had left my wading shoes back at the camp, a good 30 miles away. So we trudged upriver to look for a clear spot in which to cast the fly - the water is a little fast to attempt to wade on the slick rocks in the stream. Valiant attempt - no results. Glad we had carried extra drinking water. However, there is no doubt I will return to fish this stream in the future.
The long hike back

Wish I could get in the water
Beginning the hike
Special place

No comments:

Post a Comment